Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Feet Feats

Golden Child is doing this now:

original link

I’m truly and literally overjoyed for her about this because, while I don’t have many memories from when I was her age, I do remember being able to do this.

I remember it being the most amazing thing ever. Huge. That I could maneuver those things up to my face, to my mouth, and it was pure joy.

In retrospect, I don’t remember thinking others were better than me because, heyo, they could walk and stuff. That didn’t even compute since they were them, and I was me.

And, heyo, I was bad-ass. I could put my feet in my mouth.

Granted, all this is translated into my current head-voice and vocab. Of course. I didn’t have those specific cognizant baby-head-thoughts back then. But you understand what I’m saying, right?

How, it was awesome that I was accomplishing this heretofore impossible task.

And how it had nothing to do with anyone else and what they were able to do. I’m sure I recognized on some level that we were all different, but there was no distinction of which different was better or worse. There was no such thing.

As I have small, daily freak-outs in front of my computer where I try to talk myself down from trashing all my writing because it isn't up to par with so-and-so's writing, my daughter puts her foot in her mouth and reminds me -- there’s still no such thing. 

Makes me think fondly of this: 



How are your daily freak-outs and feats coming?

10 comments:

  1. I so love this post. It's amazing how someone so small can teach and inspire us so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you.

      And you, Ms. HKins, inspire me too.

      Delete
  2. I want to put her feet in my mouth. And this post is perfect. Just what I needed to read right now. So thank you for showing up, for writing, for clicking "publish". I know what large feats these can be. And little baby feet? mmmm... tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How is it that baby feet can be so distracting and amazing and perfect? Just so.

      Thank you for commenting and sharing the writer-anguish-love. Anguish-of-writing-love.

      Delete
  3. I love this because I am currently having a not-as-good-as-everyone-else struggle of a much, much shallower nature, as I vainly compare my postpartum weight loss (read: lack thereof) to the skinny moms around me. But hey, I am healthy, and I am taking care of myself, eating nutritious foods and moderately exercising, and nourishing another human being and caring for another with this amazing body, so it's pretty great after all. Thanks for helping me have a chest-puffing "lookitmeeeee" moment, lady. I needed it. And lookityoooooou too! I love this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Figuring out and redefining our self image at various stages of our lives and bodies is far from shallow. It's definitely one of those things we all deal with daily, regardless of gender, age, race, etc. Good for you for having a golden moment -- I'm glad I could be part of it, cause yes! Lookityoooou, you sweet, intelligent, witty, loving lady. I'm blessed to know you.

      Delete
  4. So cute. Can't believe I still haven't met Golden Child yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I can't wait to have our new one her and see him attempt this. Glad to see you back I have been so busy I may have missed many of your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brandon, it's good to see you, and yes it's good(ish) to be back. That you have been so busy makes me happy because you've been doing some pretty amazing things over there. Woot and roar and keep going!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...